Friday, 7 December 2012

Editing Techniques used so far

 Black and White
 
After editing my clips together I experimented with adding a black and white filter. I decided that I preffered the simplicity the black and white gave the video- there are no colour distractions. The black and white colouring could also relate to the song- haunted- for example: there is no colour which could conotate death and the song is about the 'death' of her relationship.
 
Effects ---> Video effects ---> Image Control ---> Black and White
 
 
 

Speed
 
For some clips I edited the speed to fit the music. I did this by speeding up certain clips and slowing others down. For example: I slowed the speed of the clip where my singer throws water at her boyfriend- this makes the clip more interesting to look at, creates an impact effect and fits to the music better.I also slowed down the clip where my singer pushes her boyfriend and also where she is swaying her shawl. The video below shows how I also speeded up clips. I increased the speed on the beginning and ends of the pan by 300% but slowed the middle to 50%.
 
Right click on clip ---> Speed ---> Change speed percentange (for example: 50% slower/ 200% faster)
 



Title Clip
 
I created a title clip after researching into music videos with titles. I decided I would like to use one because it gives the effect that the video is like a short movie- my music video tells a story and with a story comes a title. Behind the title will be a shot of the sky slowly panning down, until eventually, later on in the video, the main singer is visible. (Duration: 2 seconds)
 
File ---> New ---> Title
 
This link below shows a video tutorial of how to add titles in Adobe:

 

Lip Syncing
 
Lip syncing is a big convention in music videos and so I decided to use a lot of clips that would sync to the lyrics. It is very imoprtant that the music clips and video clips are inline correctly so that overall it looks realistic and effective. Below are screenshots from my project of clips that include lip syncing:
 



Video Merge
 
 When filming I overlapped certain parts of the song with footage so that I definitly knew I had enough. This came in useful when editing as I could use two clips merged together. I added the first clip in of the boyfriend dropping the photo and then added the clip of the girl singing on top- reduced opacity so that I could see both at the same time- changed size of the clip of girl.

 
Metric/ Rythmic Cutting

In part of my music video- I expanded my ideas and added a clip I didn't originally script for. 'Somethings made your eyes go cold'- I added in the clip of the boys eyes but then decided to 'flash' a clip of the singers eyes in too. I did this by shortening the clip and adding it on top of the first clip- I then added dissolve effects at the beginning and end of it so when it would pop up it wouldn't look so harsh. The screenshots below are from this section:
 

 
 
 For the opening of my music video (first 30 seconds) I decided to use really quick shots- this would allow a story to be told quickly and allow the viewer to see a general idea of what the rest of the music video is about. I filmed these shots longer but edited them down to about a second per shot (metric cutting).
 
 



I also used rythmic editing in the clip below. I shortened and placed the shots so that they would change to the beat of the music. This is an example of a 'rythmic montage'.



Continuity

As my music video includes both narrative and abstract themes I decided to use continuity style editing for the narrative. Below shows and example from my music video so far:





No comments:

Post a Comment